Current Available Positions
Join our newsletter
and follow us on Facebook
for updates and announcements on job openings and opportunities at chashama! We currently have openings for the following positions:
Chashama, an NYC-based not-for-profit that transforms temporarily vacant properties into spaces where creativity can flourish, is seeking a dedicated Program Assistant to join our team. Since 1995, chashama has supported the work of over 15,000 artists. Our mission is to make space affordable and available to artists across a wide range of disciplines, and to help them sustain their creative practice through programs that promote their work and bolster their artistic and professional development.
The Program Assistant will support the administration of established Space to Create and Space to Present programs, help maintain program services, and assist the growth of Chashama and its artist community. The Program Assistant is an integral part of our Program Department, and will work closely with the Program Manager and report to Chashama's Program Director.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Coordinating Program schedules and calendars for Space to Present and Space to Create.
• Responding to and following up with artists' correspondence: e-mails and phone calls, program inquiries and issues.
• Conduct site-visits for artists, assist with artist orientations, key distribution, deposits and artwork collection.
• Collection, organization and documentation of program data, including artwork, artists' applications, exhibition materials and reports.
• Assist with preparation of artist publicity and event listings, and work alongside marketing team to ensure artist messaging is in line with organizational brand and guidelines.
• Help recruit, train and supervise Program Interns to support department needs and create valuable learning experiences.
• Assist with production and administration of Open Studios events, Visiting Curators Program, Community Workshops, Professional Development Workshops, and other related Program events.
The ideal candidate:
• has 2-3 years of experience supporting programming or administration in a not-for-profit or cultural organization.
• is proficient in written and spoken English, has strong interpersonal skills, and enjoys working with a diverse population of artists
• is adept at using Microsoft Office and has familiarity with Google Drive, Adobe Creative Suite and organizational database software. Experience with Filemaker Pro is a plus.
• is able to organize large amounts of information from various sources.
• is a self-starter who can independently gather, and judiciously use, resources, who pays attention to details, but not at the expense of the big picture.
• enjoys, and is good at, solving problems, has a strong work ethic and sense of initiative, and sees challenges as an opportunity for growth
• is able to lift 25 pounds and work with basic hand tools (hammer, screwdriver, etc) for moving and hanging art, and taking care of minor repairs.
• is comfortable working in a variety of venues around New York City (you won't simply be sitting in an office all day).
Position is part-time, 32 hours per week, Monday - Thursday. Some nights or weekends may be requested.
Compensation: $30k annual salary, generous paid office holidays and scheduled closings (over 20 days per year), reimbursement of job related travel expenses, and flexible paid time-off and health and dental benefits package after 3-months.
Start date: July/August 2017.
, with subject line: "PROGRAM ASSISTANT APPLICATION".
Application deadline: July 9, but we will be considering applications as they come in.
Attach your resume as a PDF. Include a letter of introduction, as the body of the e-mail, addressed to Janusz Jaworski. In order for us to know that you've read this posting completely, please make a reference to your favorite dessert in your introduction letter.